Monday, June 25, 2012

Review : Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

Add caption
Author : Lauren Oliver
Category : Dystopian, Sci-Fi
Reading Level : Young Adult
Format : Hardcover (375 pages)
Publisher : Harper Teen (28 February 2012)
Language : English
ISBN-10 : 006197806X
ISBN-13 : 978-0061978067



Goodreads Description :
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, 
pushing aside thoughts of Alex, 
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, 
push, 
push, 
push, 
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.


Review :
Pandemonium is written in 2 parts (Now and Then). In "now" part, we can see Lena's life 1,5 years after Delirium and in "then" part we can see Lena's life right after Delirium. At first, it's confusing but it's really help to build the story.  After what happened in Delirium, Lena has to go to the wild without Alex. In the wild, she meets Raven, the leader of an invalid group. In the wild, the invalids are haunted by the bomb, sickness and scavenger, and Lena has to learn how to survive from it all. 

In "now" part, Lena is working with Raven and Tack in Manhattan to gather information about DFA, a group of people who believe in the cure. Lena has to keep an eye on Julian, the son of DFA leader. In one of DFA meetings, Lena and Julian are kidnapped by the scavenger and lock up in a room together. During their time as the prisoners, they are getting to know each other. When there's a chance, they are escaping together. During the process, Julian is taken back by his father and Lena is reunited with Raven and Tack. What would Lena do when she learns that the kidnapping is an arrangement? Would she save Julian from the procedure? What about Alex? 

When I read the book, I can feel how hard to live in the wild. I often find the moment where I want to cry. The author sure to know how to bring out the reader's emotion. In Pandemonium, we can find more action than the previous book. The book is full of tension, I often hold my breath when I read the book. We can also see how different the old Lena with the new Lena. She's stronger and more exciting. We also meet with new characters like Julian, Raven and Tack.

Before I read the book, I hear that we wouldn't find Alex in the book. It's a surprise for me because that's one of the reason why I can't wait to read the book. But after I read the book, I think it's great. The ending is really a big surprise for me. It's totally an evil cliffhanger and it kills me to wait for the next book. It's definitely better than Delirium. If you haven't read Delirium yet, you should do it now.

I give Pandemonium 5 out of 5 stars.


Book Trailer:

 

3 comments:

  1. Buku yang aku tunggu-tunggu kehadiran terjemahannya ._.

    Makin seru aja nih tampaknya. Makin banyak pertempuran. Makin banyak scene yang bikin napas tertahan. Alex menghilang. Muncul karakter baru. Lena yang baru juga.

    Nggak sabar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. punya ebooknya sih, tapi nunggu terjemahannya aja.
    soalnya sempat lihat bagian "now" dan "then" kok kayaknya ribet... (ternyata ga ya?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @FJRean : mudah-mudahan sebentar lg terbit di Indonesia :)

    @desty : awalnya sih emang agak ribet jg memahaminya

    ReplyDelete